CNSNews.com, like other right-wing media outlets, has been getting a lot of Biden-bashing mileage out of issues with immigrants at the Mexican border. But CNS primed readers to blame Biden for increased numbers of immigrants trying to cross the border even before he became president.
Back on Jan. 12, Melanie Arter touted how "President Donald [Trump] warned Tuesday that caravans of illegal immigrants are forming on the southern border, in anticipation of Joe Biden’s presidency and what’s in it for them, but the Trump administration is able to stop it."More examples from January:
- On Jan. 18, Arter wrote that "Former acting ICE Director Tom Homan told Fox Business’s 'Mornings with Maria Bartiromo' on Monday that the prediction he made six months ago is coming true that if Joe Biden won the presidency, there will be a surge in illegal immigration like you’ve never seen."
- A Jan. 19 article by Susan Jones featured a file photo of "A caravan of would-be illegal immigrants" from ovember 2018.
- A separate article by Jones the same day declared: "Illegal immigration is accelerating once again, as thousands of Central Americans are heading to the U.S., taking President-elect Joe Biden at his word that he will halt deportations in his first 100 days, Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) told the Homeland Security Committee on Tuesday."
- On Jan. 20, Jones noted that Antony Blinken, at his confirmation hearing for secretary of state, saying that undocumented immigrants shouldn't come, which would seem to undermine CNS' later claim that Biden encouraged them to come.
- On Jan. 22, Jones gave space to a Fox News appearance by the head of the union for Border Patrol employees, claiming that "There is absolutely reason to be concerned" about security at the Southwest border.
- The same day, an anonymous CNS writer complained that "When President Joe Biden arrived at the White House after being inaugurated on Wednesday, he signed an executive orderhalting the construction of an 'impassable physical barrier' at the U.S.-Mexico border."
- Another Jan. 22 article, this one by the mysterious "A. Kim," groused that Biden's executive orders on immigration represent "a sweeping change that reflects a return to Obama-era policy," further complaining that "illegal aliens" are "now officially termed 'non-citizens.'" "Kim" also claimed that Republicans opposed Biden's "plans for amnesty," even though no policy change was identified as such.
- On Jan. 25, Jones let Chad Wolf, onetime acting Homeland Security secretary under Trump, fearmonger about Biden's policy changes, claiming that the are "going to cause an immigration and border security crisis on our Southwest Border."
In short: CNS was always going to attack Biden on immigration no matter what is happening now. It telegraphed that nearly three months ago.