Last May, we highlighted how CNSNews.com had been touting a minor politician, Georgia state Rep. Vernon Jones, who claimed to be a Democrat but declared his love for then-President Trump. Well, he has continued to be a thing at CNS -- well, mostly for writer Craig Bannister -- for the goofy unicorn antics of a Republican pretending to be a Democrat. These are from last summer alone:
- Dem Ga. State Rep. Vernon Jones Introducing Bill to Make Attacking Trump Supporters a ‘Hate Crime’
- Dem Ga. State Rep.: ‘Disband and Change Name of Democratic Party…It’s Associated with Racism, Bigotry and Confederacy’
- Georgia Democrat: ‘Joe Biden Can’t Do Anything in the Basement; We Need a Man’ – ‘Trump Can Get the Job Done’
- Black Ga. Dem: My Party Is ‘Infected with Pandemic of Intolerance,’ But Trump Built ‘The Most Inclusive Economy Ever’
In August, Bannister hyped how Jones "posted a video recalling how he was 'met by a violent mob' and feared for his life when as he left Pres. Donald Trump’s White House speech last Thursday." Bannister did not note that Jones offered any proof to back up his claim, but he did uncritically report Jones' assertion that "my life was threatened."
Before the 2020 presidential election, Jones got more press from Bannister for his schtick:
- Ga. Dem Vernon Jones Calls Out Liberal Media for Hiding Hunter Biden News: ‘Any Investigative Reporters in the House?’
- Black Georgia Dem: ‘White Supremacy Is Not What’s Hurting the Black Community’ – It’s Joe Biden and These Groups
After the election, Bannister gave Jones space to rant about Stacey Abrams motivating Democrats to vote, claiming that she was "'practicing hypocrisy and not democracy' by ignoring the election concerns plaguing her state." Bannister added that "Democrat Jones says he’s endorsing the two Republican Senate candidates in Georgia’s upcoming runoff elections – because, if they don’t win 'It’s going to be chaos, it’s going to be communism.'"
And on Feb. 11, Bannister rehashed Jones' claim of being "ambushed" by a liberal "mob":
Democrats at this week’s Senate trial are accusing former President Donald Trump of inciting a deadly insurrection by a speech he gave. But, last year, a Democrat Georgia state representative repeatedly warned that it’s the left that Americans should fear.
As CNSNews.com reported, last August, Georgia Rep. Vernon Jones tweeted a video recalling how he had been “ambushed leaving the White House by a left-wing mob for proudly supporting @realDonaldTrump."
“My life was threatened and others’ lives were threatened” by “a violent mob,” Jones said, adding that “I feared for my life.”
Again, Bannister noted no proof from Jones that this actually happened. And he buried the real news here: "Since the attack, Rep. Jones has left the Democrat Party [sic] and become a Republican."
Of course, that means Jones has lost his unicorn gadfly status, and CNS will likely not have much to do with him again.